Monday, April 30, 2007

Octopus, live eel and fortune-telling birds..oh my!

But before I get to that....Friday night, Emily hosted an 80s party. It was 80s in music only, but it was a blast - at least for Emily and me since we loooove dancing even when we're the only ones.



On Saturday, Emily and I (note that I have on the same exact outfit since I crashed at her place) met up with Chris, Paul and MJ in Busan's Jagalchi market. Rows and rows of fish, octopi (that sounds weird), squid, anemone, sharks, and many more unidentifiable sea creatures. It's pretty impressive, and it makes me wonder why Koreans even go to the city's aquarium since everything seems to be at the market for free-viewing.


We walked around and went to MJ's favorite tent restaurant for live, skinned eel. Behind the tent, the restaurant ladies skin the live eels, chop them up, and then mix them with veggies and sauce. The pieces are still wiggling and squirming while they're on the cooker. I was a little hesitant to try this, but it wasn't too bad. Can't say I'll ever crave it.




While we were watching a hajima (old Korean woman) chase her octopus, she completely caught us offguard by throwing it at us. Luckily, Emily did some great filming of the incident.

We finished the day by shopping around, walking through a pretty park, getting our fortunes read by finches (video courtesy of Emily again) , and having a hilarious conversation at a hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant. It was an awesome day.


3 comments:

carol p. said...

is the girl with the black hair emily??
hows emily?

carol

jessica said...

she is really good. funny as ever. check out her blog - I have a link to it from my page. She is a much better writer than I.

TiffTack said...

WOw having an octopus thrown at you is so random. Why would she do such a thing?? she probably took advantage of the fact y'all were curious Americans or is it something that Koreans do on occasion?