Since I've been here, I've tried to be unobtrusive. Hell, most of my life I have tried to be unobtrusive. In most circumstances, I don't like the attention on me. It's not that I am shy really, it's just that I don't feel like it's necessary for me to be in the spotlight. Maybe that is why people always think I am so sweet (wrongly). Some of you may disagree with this self-realization, and if you do, I would love to hear your comments. Either way, I'm giving up being inconspicuous in Korea. It was an unrealistic and futile attempt in this homogenous land. I already stick out like a blondish, blue-eyed sore thumb, so why not be true to my freak self? I will be stared at either way wherever I go, so I might as well.
I try my best at all times to respect Korean culture and customs, so that's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about feeling self-concious when I am the ONLY jogger on my running track every morning (tons of Koreans - all walkers). Or when a group of my friends realized that people were actually taking pictures of us while we sat on the beach. I've realized I should show no shame in wearing the huge south-of-france sunglasses Emily brought me as a gift. I'm no longer going to meekly attempt Korean in shops, but will rather speak the Korean I know with confidence (as terrible as it might be). You get the picture. Speaking of pictures, sorry I don't have any. My camera is awful, and I plan on buying a new one this week so that you can see more.
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment