After the longest week known to man, the weekend was finally here. Well, I guess it wasn't all that bad because in some of my classes we were learning genres of music, so I brought my ipod and played samples of each of the kinds. That was fun. Salsa really seemed to be a polarizing music type. And I think only one kid raised his hand in support of reggae. A surprising majority of the students said, "I think classical music is exciting." Back in Texas, I probably would have be one of a few nerdy kids at that age to say the same.
Anyway, my weekend...I went out with Yuna, a new Korean co-teacher, and her friend. We finally tried out the new (and only) Mexican restaurant in the city. I knew it would be good the second I stepped out of the subway tunnel and heard mariachi music blaring from a pickup truck with ads for the place. I almost forgot I was in Korea. As we got closer, there were Korean men handing out coupons for it and wearing full Mexican garb and sombreros! (picture coming) The place is fittingly called Taco Loco, and I counted at least two REAL Mexican chefs in the kitchen. Well, it turns out the food was okay - kinda Korea's take on Mexican food, but really any attempt at this point tastes good to me. (It would probably have been amazing to me if I hadn't just eaten Pappasitos last week) Plus, they served guac with chips. So it has my recommendation. The only thing missing were the margaritas. When I inquired, they said they'd serve them in the next 2 weeks, so I don't know if they are waiting on a shipment of limes or what, but I will surely be back for those babies.
The three of us (oh yes! by the way, Yuna's friend is coming to teach at our school in a few weeks. And her English name is Jessica. And she almost has the same birthday as me), we went to a Chinese restaurant to have some drinks and then went to a different bar and met with my Irish friends, Linda and Patrick. They had one of those bartender shows where they throw around bottles and light things on fire. At the end of the night, Yuna's friend (I'm saying Yuna's friend over and over because I have no clue how to pronounce her name, and therefore how to write it) invited us to stay at her home. It turns out that her father is a monk and lives at the temple - I'm not really sure people know he has a family. And her mom was gone, so we had the place to ourselves and just stayed up talking. A little slumber party!
The remainder of my weekend was just catching up on stuff. On a completely different note, thanks to the three random little matchmakers in my life right now- you know who you are. I'm not sure what's prompted you guys (individually and all this week!) to suggest possible love interests to me, especially since I'm not coming back very soon, but it's very sweet that you're thinking of me and those boy-crazy days I will inevitably return to.
Sunday, August 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Maybe they're perfecting their margarita-making technique for the next two weeks for those discriminating American tasters!
I'll bet they'll be worth the wait.
I hope you're right.
Post a Comment