Monday, June 25, 2007

the refuge, THE refuge





Saturday, I went with friends to a new place they found recently. This place is not really definable. It's sort of a tea house, record collection, Indian import store, hangout all rolled into one. The store is on the ground level, and a little staircase leads up to a second story with rooms and tables and artifacts and incense and records. You are free to peruse and choose any music you like. We had a great time rummaging. We found plenty of goodies: Beatles, LZ, Simon and Garfunkel, Queen, CCR, Elvis, James Brown. Even some classical and Korean when our mood changed, since we camped out there all day.














At one point, we decided to go out for some fresh air and food. On the way to the fake Subway, Subsand, we passed a free beer tasting stand. Then we rounded another corner, saw a different one and did it again. These poor beer girls were standing in the drizzly weather with tiny silver spandex shorts and bra tops. Oh Korea. Paul asked one of them if they were cold by doing the best charade characterization of "cold" I've ever seen.






We grabbed some more beer and went back to the refuge again. By then, we had already become friends with the owner and card-carrying members of the place.





MJ told Dave how to say "welcome to Korea" in Korean, so he shouted that from the second floor window while we all waited to see who would look up and wave at us so we could wave right back. Later we went to the Rock and Roll Bar, where Min-Ew the sweetest bartender ever, asked about Tibi and Tess. It was really cute.











Sunday, I sat at a coffee shop and read this book I just can't put down. I also did some writing. It was so nice to get some thoughts on paper. Then I searched for a Turkish restaurant whose business card I had stumbled upon. It's next to this mosque, which is so architecturally refreshing to see amid the monotony of concrete high-rises. The ambiance of the place seemed so authentic, with the smells and the Arabic-speaking customers.






I like finding the non-Korean stuff in Busan, though few and far between. It reminds me that there's so much more to see out there.

2 comments:

carol p. said...

what did you eat at the turkish restaurant? i LOVE turkish restaurants....your coffee shop/italian/ahtever sort of place looks fascinating. looks as though it could be your home away from home. the photos were wonderful. i'd love that place, too.

jessica said...

hummus and turkish tea!