So it has been a year since I've started this blog. I feel more tech savvy these days. Happy anniversary to me and any one else who's kept up with this for a year!
I heard a great story from another teacher that I have to tell... One day she was asking her students to come up with a list of words ending in "og." One of them piped up and said, "frog!" But because of the L-R pronunciation problem here (i.e. think Fa ra ra ra ra in A Christmas Carol), she thought he said "flog" and wrote that up on the board. So seeing that word written, kids asked her to explain its meaning. She said she was basically giving a whole history lesson and even drawing that stick with three spiky balls on the board. And now whenever her kids don't do their homework, she says, "Do you need a flogging?!?"
I have a pretty good one, too. This week, we were learning some new adjectives. I was explaining "talented," and my favorite student Tim suggested MacGyver as an example of a talented person. I love that kid. (I googled for the spelling of MacGyver just now and came across a "list of problems solved by MacGyver" on Wikipedia. Worth a look... )
One night last week, I was hanging out with MJ and one of her friends. He has just passed all the exams to become a police officer, so we were talking police stuff. I had some questions for him, because the police here seriously seem to do nothing. I often see police cars driving around with 4 officers in there, just cruising. Or else they are hanging out on the corner in huge groups. I guess that's what you do if there's not much crime to fight. Anyway, he said that they can't actually shoot their guns. Instead, they train to throw their guns at troublemakers. haha. Not sure if those guns will be a deterrent if that fact gets around. He also kept asking me questions about sheriffs, Texas Rangers, etc. because they have that stuff on their tests!
I think I have some photographs for PETA. I went to this market last weekend, and there were cages of chickens and ducks next to this lady using a blow torch to cook them. It was really disturbing, but I took a picture and she started yelling at me. It was scary. Like the time mom and I were told to delete pictures of the State Dept (I was just a nerdy intern who wanted a pic in front of it!)
Ok last thing... I went to a swing dancing club last weekend! Actually, I was told it would be salsa (not that I can dance that one either), but it was swing. It was like a little 40's college party down in a basement. Everyone was dressed up, eating little snacks, asking people to dance, and then thanking each other for the dance after the song ended. Really sweet stuff. And our Korean friend who goes every week kept setting us up with new dance partners. They also did some awesome line dancing. So fun!
Saturday, November 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well, Happy Anniversary to you and your blog. It has been pure pleasure to keep up with it. And maybe MacGyver should be running for Pres in '08. I think we need someone like that who can solve just about anything!
you updated your book list! which of those did you really like (of the novels?) i'm bored right now (with my reading). have you read Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs? Its really, really funny.
your blog has been such a gift to us, and i would respond more if i could ever remember the exact password i have. often , i write you these elaborate responses, and it's all for naught, 'cause i cannot get the password right....after many tries, it just boots you off. just come home already, so we can chat in person....but not b4 you travel vicariously for us thru vnam and cambodia....i can't wait to hear the tales.
Post a Comment