Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Do trash cans exist on the streets of Korea?

I MEANT TO POST THIS LAST WEEK...

Short answer: no

Long answer: If they do, I still have yet to see one, other than the small one in my own apartment. Therefore, I am continually collecting the trash I generate while I'm running around until I'm able to throw it out at home. Then, of course, comes the problem of what to do with the trash in my apartment. After about a week, I finally found out that I can take it to the side of the building between two specific hours in the evening.

UPDATE:

I thought the trash dilemma was over, but I found out this weekend that not only must you take trash out during certain specific hours, you must also have it in a special bag (issued from the government? Still can't read Korean...) that must be bought at the store. If you do not use these special white and blue bags, you run the risk of having someone search through your trash for evidence that it is yours so that you have to pay a fine. Is it just me, or is this really intense? At least it makes you think twice about what you are throwing out vs. what you are recycling. I guess that's the idea.

No comments: